nanog mailing list archives

Re: Above.net?

From: Mark Kent <mark () noc mainstreet net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 19:54:40 -0700 (PDT)

I guess by now everyone knows what happened.  Paul, can you share some
info with the rest of us about what the vulnerability was so we can "plug
the hole"?

This might be something more then a hole.

http://yahoo.cnet.com/news/0-1004-200-1760458.html?pt.yfin.cat_fin.txt.ne

Looks like Vixie is going to take a while getting back to nanog.

Hmmmm, the article states that service was restored by mid-afternoon.
But it is still not in good shape (at 1945h).

The article says there was an attack, but what above.net told customers was:

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 16:15:38 -0700 (PDT)
At approximately 9:45am PST we experienced network wide failures with our
Cisco switches. These failures resulted in loss of some configuration
information kept inside the switches.  Service has been restored to
nearly all customers who were affected.  If you are still having problems
reaching your equipment give the call center a call at 408-367-6673.

Now, that email didn't get to my mail server (in AboveNet) until
1900h.  I called and was told that there were still problems and they
were still working on it.

I just did some tests (1954h, I'm a slow typist) and the problem
continues...

-mark