nanog mailing list archives

RE: WINS Proxy vs. Cisco IP Helper

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:49:21 -0700

In my experience, this is not a good thing. WinNT PDC's REALLY want to be master browsers as well.  Weird things break
when they are not allowed to do that. If you have a PDC anyway, then there is no good reason not to let it be the local
master browser. This means htat they also need to be a WINS server. I can't, for the life of me, understand why folks
don't want to allow this. It's right on up there with those that won't let a Unix server be a local DNS secondary ...
stupid. Centralizing an inherently distributed system usually results in one getting seriously bitten in the
ass...hard. Something usually suffers, either performance or manageability. It also results in too much undocumented
"magic", which will kill your entire systems within two-years down-stream.