nanog mailing list archives

Re: [nsp] IS-IS over IP?

From: Danny McPherson <danny () tcb net>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 09:41:07 -0600

I wasn't in Adelaide, but in earlier meetings, I had the impression
that there were at least some implementations using IPv4 as a
workaround both to lower layer specific problems (e.g., AAL SNAP/MUX)
as well as the hard MTU size limit due to lack of fragmentation
capability at the data link layer.

I don't believe there were any meetings of the ISIS WG in Adelaide.

I'm not aware of any implementations of ISIS over IPv4, much less in production
networks.  As for the MTU issue, most use maximum LSP size of 1492 bytes and
even stop Hello padding after initialization.

-danny