nanog mailing list archives

Re: Question about strain on the A root server

From: "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc () iMach com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 17:18:22 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Nick Patience wrote:

NSI seems slightly unsure as to the main reason for the increase in hits,
but speculates that one of the reasons may be
says the main reason for this is that ISP's are using different caching
techniques and more & more searches are going right to the top of the tree
than before.

I have heard from a source that Windows 2000 is sending a whole bunch of
"interesting" packets towards the root servers.  I don't know if this is
true or not, but if it is, this seems to coincide timing wise.   The
person I talked to referred to the packets as "update notifications" or
something like that.  Maybe NOTIFY implemented weirdly?

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc () imach com) KD7EHZ
iMach, Ltd., P.O. Box 5749, Helena, MT 59604      http://www.imach.com
Solutions for your high-tech problems.                  (406)-442-6648