nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS for 16.172.in-addr.arpa

From: Andrew Brown <twofsonet () graffiti com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 17:59:21 -0400

We were having a small problem here and I traced it down to a reverse DNS
lookup on a 172.16 address hanging.

hmm...yeah.  they'll do that.

I noticed that a.root-servers.net reports that BLACKHOLE.ISI.EDU is
authoritative for 16.172.in-addr.arpa.

Is this the way it should be, or is the yet another network solutions
mistake? Who should really handle DNS for rfc1918 addresses?

well...imho, they should be delegated to localhost.  and everyone
should have a localhost zone with the proper address in it, to go with
their 127.in-addr.arpa zone file.

but then again, some people think i'm weird.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
codewarrior () daemon org             * "ah!  i see you have the internet