nanog mailing list archives

Re: MCI WorldCom fiber cut - Syracuse, NY

From: Majdi Abbas <majdi () puck nether net>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 15:19:24 -0400 (EDT)

In addition to which, fiber doesn't emit a nice electrical signature that
can be detected easily, making it hard to avoid.  Plastic, glass,
fiberglass, kevlar and the other elements of most fiber runs lay invisible
to many detection devices that rely upon metals content or electrical
impulse emission (crosstalk, noise, EMF...) for detection purposes.

Now, some have written that we should encase these things with various
high-strength metals.  I'm not willing, as an end consumer, to bear the
increased overall costs being passed to me, because $VBC laid 10,000 miles
(16 000 km) of protectively-encased fiber.  Costs would be staggering. In

        You wouldn't need to encase it.  Bury a little bit of copper with it,
and blast RF out of it (think of it is a locater service).

        --msa