nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICANN Draws Fire Over Proposed Charges

From: Dean Robb <pceasy () norfolk infi net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 05:25:41 -0400

At 11:53 AM 7/5/99 -0700, Patrick Greenwell wrote:

Certainly. First, operation of the "A" root server is going to be turned
over at the direction of the Department of Commerce. Second, at present
one or more root server operators is refusing to sign a contract with
ICANN. Third, it is my understanding that the current "l.root-server.net"
server is(was?) being designated as the new authoratative "A"
server(corrections welcome.)

Is this the research contract with ICANN and half the acronyms in the USG,
or is this a root-server/ICANN contract?  I hadn't heard about one between
the ops and ICANN - and I can certainly understand not wanting to get into
a three-way (or more-way).

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of ICANN?"

Dean Robb
Owner, PC-EASY
(757) 495-EASY [3279]
On-site computer repairs, upgrades and consultations
Lead SimOps columnist/reviewer on http://WWW.TheGamers.Net