nanog mailing list archives

Re: Solution: Re: Huge smurf attack

From: "Alex P. Rudnev" <alex () Relcom EU net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 22:52:23 +0300 (MSK)

Hi.

Let me a few words. I was talking to a few of this kids last months, and
unfortunately everything is not so easy to fix.

Yes, 99.9% of this attacks are _the kid's play_. I do not know how to fix
kid's heads over the whole world, but let's imagine you have found some
way to do it. And... let's be waiting for someone - not kid, from Iraq,
for example, who use this as the electronic weapon. Why not?

It's amazing but this kid's games have a positive effect among the
negative ones. Yes, they cause a problems and make a troubles for
someone. On the other hand, they allow you to see where do you have the
weakness _BEFORE_ someone seriously try to exploit this. As we are
talking here - the pike (in the river) don't allow other fishes to
slumber (sorry for the bad translation).

Fixing the kids heads, I'm sure we all agree, would be the correct solution.
But I don't believe this is really practical or possible.  So what should be
done is to make it so that they have no effect.

So my position is that until we do have a practical solution to solve the
cause of the problem, we simply have to deal with the effects the best we
can, and this does mean dealing with and addressing the symptoms so that
we do not suffer the effects.