nanog mailing list archives

Re: Monitoring, Flow Stats (Re: spam whore, norcal-systems)

From: owen () DeLong SJ CA US (Owen DeLong)
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:58:44 -0800

Owen DeLong in private communication points up that he thinks that this
permission is transitive. That has the problem that it trivially obviates
all privacy.  Every provider is automatically authorized, no one is not
authorized. Privacy is in the eyes of the provider. The ECPA was intended
to prevent communications providers from looking at things they shouldn't
and don't need to.  So I'm not convinced.  **thanks to Dean Robb, the
Attorneys manual says it must be "specifically authorized"

Apologies to the list for posting this, but I had to respond to this
violation of my privacy and this slander.

No, I didn't.  I said that my AUP/TOS can create a transitive OBLIGATION
to disclose on the part of the downstream providers.  Further, I have
repeatedly said that if the downstream providers can provide their service
to spammers without violating my AUP/TOS, then there is no issue.  However,
if they deliver content to my network for transit which is in violation of
my AUP/TOS, then I have the rights to defend my property from this theft
of service.

Owen