nanog mailing list archives

Re: transit across the ixs

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 06:51:20 -0800 (PST)

cool beans.  employment security for level-3s at the noc.  makes it really
fun to debug when packets come from places different where routes go.  good
job.
Aw, come on Randy.  It's not like it's rocket science.

no, but it is non-trivial added burden for the noc.  we don't do that.  does
not scale.

The routes do go there, after all.  A "show ip bgp w.x.y.z" on the TC
router will show your router as the next hop.

i.e. our noc has to contact the third party noc.  half the folk on mae-x
seem not to even have nocs.  does not scale.

How do you debug problems with a multihomed customer on the end of a
serial link when you can't see their config?

they have a vested interest in debugging their problem and are going to be
available when the problem site is in trouble because they are the site with
the problem.

In another thought, what if the "offender" is not a transit customer,
but the same provider.

that's why we listen to meds at exchanges.

Is this bad?  You agreed to peer with them.  Does your peering agreement
restrict them to one router as the source?

yup.

randy