nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why the temptation for dial users to crank back rwin/mtu?

From: "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc () iMach com>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 11:11:31 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999 mcmanus () appliedtheory com wrote:

apparently there's some performance value in this (at least to the
immediate user) because they keep doing it in droves. It's not obvious
to me why the heck this would be. (warning: I am a protocol guy, but
I'm not a dialup guy at all.. and even less of a windows guy)

This has been generally beat to death on nanog in the past.  If you
weren't around back then, dig around in the archive.   I remember one of
the subjects being "PC Bozoworld strikes again" or something like that.

The short recap is that for some unknown reason the Microsoft TCP/IP stack
is broken in some bizzare way that setting down the MTU on a good chunk of
the machines out there will result in a dramatic speed increase.   Why
this occurs, I'm not sure anyone really knows.   It would be really
interesting to see a study of what the MS stack is doing and why it's
faster.

MTU - at least this makes a little bit of sense.. If they're doing
HTTP/1.0 stuff with parallel connections then a smaller MTU is going
to make that parallelization latency much more effective and perceived
performance will go up some.. it doesn't impact full document

Just for my information, does the MTU setting affect <received> packets
in some way?   My understanding was that a machine wouldn't send packets
over the MTU size, but could recieve anything up to whatever the TCP/IP
stack writer included in the stack.  Guess I'll have to go dig out the
RFC's.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc () imach com)
iMach, Ltd., P.O. Box 5749, Helena, MT 59604      http://www.imach.com
Solutions for your high-tech problems.                  (406)-442-6648