nanog mailing list archives

RE: Long Prefix Redundancy (Was: Verio Decides what parts of the internet to drop)

From: Derrick Bennett <Derrick () anei COM>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 17:09:12 -0800

 Since we are all here at this point I would like to ask some questions on
what should be done for the small companies. I have setup several /24's with
various ISP's and have gotten them multi-homed with secondary ISP's, setup
BGP and overall things work relatively well. Now I have always been able to
go to some of the route servers and looking glass sites and see my
annoucements making it to several providers. But I have no way of knowing
that every ISP is accepting these routes and I have always beleived that
they weren't anyway.
 Now through all this many people have asked the same question I am asking.
Companies that are being responsible and only occuping a single class C
still need redundancy and to me this is what BGP was meant to do. What does
the nanog community in general think should be done to help this growing
group of customers ? I never remember reading a FAQ anywhere that said only
large networks should get the redundancy features that have been built into
the Net.

And to answer the other point many of my customers would not mind paying a
fee to make their routes known. I would rather pay for proper routing then
pay for a /19 and waste space.

Derrick