nanog mailing list archives

Re: Report from New Zealand

From: Russell Briggs <russb () puffer quadrunner com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 19:11:58 -0800

On Sat, Jan 01, 2000 at 11:54:42AM +1030, Mark Prior said:

     "The phone system is almost useless" is perhaps less accurate than
     "the one person I have talked to has reported some problems with his
     office handsets" :)

I think in the Australian experience "the mobile phone system is
useless" was pretty accurate for at least an hour after midnight.
Landlines coped much better. For the places yet to experience 1/1/00 I
would suggest that if you need to keep in touch with your NOC (or
whatever) then be near a landline and give the mobile a night off.

Mark.

If you anticipate needing to be in touch with your NOC, then I'd
reccomend dialing it up now, and leave it on speakerphone.

--
Russell Briggs
CyberCorp, Inc.