nanog mailing list archives

Re: Y2k silly season

From: Nathan Stratton <nathan () robotics net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 15:42:36 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, Robert Cannon wrote:

In regards to self fulfilling prophecies:

The phone companies won't admit it but they are scared that at 1 second
past midnight, everyone will say to themselves, "Hmmm, lights are still on,
I wonder if the phones have stopped working?" and then within 1 minute,
millions of people will be lifting their phones off the hooks to check
dial-tone.  You know what happens when that happens. :-)

This is only a problem in some networks. Most of the time the actual
dial tone does not congest the system. As someone who builds telephone
networks I have to say that at least the 26 CLECs I work with will do
fine. :) I am more worried about the people factor, when people freak out
you can have problems.

<>
Nathan Stratton                         Tricetel Consulting
http://www.tricetel.net                 nathan () tricetel net
http://www.robotics.net                 nathan () robotics net

-Hank