nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verio Decides what parts of the internet to drop

From: Alex Rubenstein <alex () nac net>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 18:34:47 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Jared Mauch wrote:

      Your pager didn't go off when the routing table had 100k prefixes
in it, I take it.

      This is a Good Thing(tm).

Au contriar, monfrair (sp?). I was among the first to call Vinnie.

I believe that if I have a customer who is multihomed between me and
another provider, his punch-throughs to the non-address-space-providing
provider should be heard. It's called 'global routability.'

      The people who "purchased" this space, didn't realize that such
routing policies exist, and it is not the problem of someone trying to reach
them, it's the problem of the person who is using address space that
was not originally assigned to them.

You misinterpreted.

Multihomed customer gets a /24 of my announced /16. He's announcing that
/24 to his other provider; since it is more specific the other provider
will always win (BGP 101). So, for it to work, I need to allow a punch
through of a /24 to my peers. And for it to _really_ work, people would
have to listen to the /24 from both us and the other provider to our
multihomed customer.

There are ways to get around this (as-path filtering, maximum-paths, etc)
that aren't as nazi as one would hope, but will prevent stupidity and
provide sanity checking.

      Maximum paths deals primarily with ibgp

Well, thats patently wrong. I don't know how else to respond to this.

      as-path filtering?  How will this help?

It will prevent redistribution of a person who announces * to you. It
won't fix everything (including the 7007 debacle, but thats a whole
another story), but it will fix most fsck-ups.

      Oh yeah, I'll as-path filter my peers, and then have even
more reacability issues.

Tell Sprint, Agis, and others. Unless they changed since my last dealing
with them.

But unfortunate. Will they announce a customer-announced /24?

      Yes.

      They can't guarentee that peers will listen to it though.

Well, it's a start.

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared () puck nether net
END OF LINE  |