nanog mailing list archives

Re: What frame relay switch is causing MCI/Worldcom such grief?

From: Vadim Antonov <avg () kotovnik com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 11:53:02 -0700

Prabhu --

a particluar implementation does not matter when the underlying idea
is bad.  Any circuit routing for data is broken-as-designed.

(BTW, the irrelevance of the particulars is why i omitted attribution
in the first place.  This was a comment on the general state of affairs,
not on the situation. Thanks for providing details, though).

--vadim

From: Prabhu Kavi <prabhu_kavi () tenornetworks com>

Vadim,

Your response is unrelated to the message I replied to, which
asked about the link state algorithm that Cascade uses.

As far as I know, nobody has announced which set of MCI Wordlcom's
switches were responsible for their outage.  Since MCI Worldcom
uses multiple types in their network, statements like "goes as
predicted - complexity bites" is irresponsible at best, even if it
is later determined the Cascade switches were actually the cause
of the outage.

Prabhu