nanog mailing list archives

Re: Training the next generation:

From: "Alex P. Rudnev" <alex () Relcom EU net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:03:10 +0400 (MSD)

I am teching the simular course for the MIPT students here in Russia, and
we choose to teach a few _overview_ courses. I myself (with my collegues)
was developing and teaching _the basics of IP routing_ course, with the
two main ideas:

- (1) to cover all oportunities the network engeneers have to desing
moder networks. IT include:
- TCP/IP basics
- LAN routing protocols, such as OSPF, RIP and EGRP; and I'v tried to
built the topics from the two parts, for example - (1a. OSPF, view for
the beginners /plain OSPF based network, very simple, no areas, stubs etc
etc - and it's highly recommended for all middle-size corporate networks
- with a very simple configuration: router OSPF 1;network 0.0.0.0
255.255.255.255 area 0.0.0.0;
1b. Why OSPF is not really so simple - areas, complex ropology, etc etc -
some minimum, not more.
- special LAN protocols (very important) - HSRP, ICMP redirect, router
discovery, Cisco Discovery Protocol;
- Internet routing - basics - why there is BGP, what is it, how it is
used by the multihome customers; how is it used by the ISP (special topic
- the routing in the ISP back-bone - IGP + BGP 2 level routing schema -
the basics.
- VLAN networks - very important topics to know - include FDDI/802.10,
ISL (!, don't forget), 802.1q, LANE (terrible!) as the trunk protocols,
explain how the routers and switches interconnect (with the
sub-interfaces etc etc), why 802.1q or ISL need some other hardware (more
frame size);
- Multicast (the basics only);
- ATM etc - the basics.

I think (as the head of NOC) the network engeneer should know:
- modern networking - very well, including some vendor-based standards
such as CISCO HDLC, ISL VLAN, some FORE and BAY's protocols;
- network troubleshooting - to have some labs;
- programming - the basics of C, C++ (not so important for the
programming but very important for the education), PERL (!), Visual Basic
and script programming on Windows. Network engeneers do not develop
usially huge and java-based systems but they must be able to write
quickly a simple CGI script or modify existing one;
- HP OV and other SNMP-based (terrible, but the only existing) monitoring
systems, just as RMON basics.

What's _basics_? It mean don't detailed knowing of the exact commands,
config files, etc, but knowing of the main ideas the authors realised in
the protocol or the system - what for is (HSRP), where do we use it
(HSRP), can it work on VLAN-ed network or not, etc etc...

And - the _troubleshooting labs_ as well - the 99% of the students could
not found any complex failure (for example - the loss of syncronisation
in the ATL LS-1010-based network caused a lot of interfaces fail down -
the mister Sherlok Holms could guess the reason withouth ever knowingv
the world _router_, but the students could not found the reason at all).

Alexei Roudnev, the head of NOC, RELCOM network, Moscow, Russia
/and the author of the _Basics of the IP routing_ course for the MIPT
institure in Moscow/.