nanog mailing list archives

Re: Severe Response Degradation

From: Andrew Brown <twofsonet () graffiti com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 10:04:29 -0400

I haven't actually tried this, but I have been told that if you actually
use @Home's DNS servers and query the RFC1918 addresses for the routers, it
will give you back "intelligent" names.

I've tried it, without success. If anyone finds a particular DNS server
in their realm which does resolve these, please let me know. They seem
to treat the info as trade secrets... very annoying.

i tried it. it worked fine.  dig home.net ns and try those.  i just
axfr'ed

   168.192.in-addr.arpa (36 answers)
   10.in-addr.arpa      (3770 answers)
   16.172.in-addr.arpa  (926 records)
   17.172.in-addr.arpa  (158 records)

from their ns2.home.net (24.2.0.27).  they're not using the rest of
172.16/12.  or, at least, don't have the reverse zones set up.

Considering the large chunk of 24/8 they have, I can't imagine why they
had to use RFC 1918 addresses throughout their infrastructure. When I
raised issues about this (just after getting a T1 to their network),
they had no answers other than that since they chose an MTU of 1500
bytes for all their links, they didn't think path MTU discovery would be
an issue.

well then, they're obviously clueless.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
codewarrior () daemon org             * "ah!  i see you have the internet