nanog mailing list archives

Re: Above.net off the air

From: I Am Not An Isp <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 00:38:08 -0700

At 06:51 PM 4/27/99 -0400, Becki Kain wrote:

Personally, I'm glad it was posted. I have a friend who has two servers
at abovenet and they were not told, and definatly not 3 times, what the cause
of the downtime was.  I realise it is one of the hazards of co-location of
your servers, not to be able to run to it, but still would be nice to know
it wasn't your machines that were down.

In Above.Net's defense, and without making any comment on the cause or the
fix of the problem, I can vouch as a "disinterested party" that three
separate messages went out the tech list @ above.net regarding this issue.
Perhaps your friend is not correctly registered on the contact list or
something?

Additionally, without commenting on the cause or the fix or even
Above.Net's network, I must say Above.Net does a good job of trying to keep
their customers informed.  I've seen notifications for things which might
not have been noticed by customers - things other providers might have
tried to sweep under the rug.

TTFN,
patrick

I Am Not An Isp - www.ianai.net
ISPF, The Forum for ISPs by ISPs, <http://www.ispf.com>
"Think of it as evolution in action." - Niven & Pournelle
(No, I still don't have enable.)