nanog mailing list archives

Re: Contact handles disappearing mysteriously from the whois database!

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 16:22:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Randy Bush wrote:

First, there is a bug in the whois generation code that generates the
indexes that whois uses. The information is still correct in the database
that whois is generated from. The fix is in QA now and should be in
operations shortly.

you have the gall to spend time ensuring that it will work before deploying
it?  while all of us out here who paid $35 are waiting for the absolutely
mission critical whois service without which our lives can not continue!
what nerve!

I find it rather curious that QA procedures were not in place to prevent
the bug from happening in the first place. I also find it curious that
there are no rollback procedures in place to recover quickly from a bug in
generating whois data. For example, most network operators store their
router configs in a revision control system and can quickly rollback to a
previous config when changes go awry.

--
Michael Dillon                 -               E-mail: michael () memra com
Check the website for my Internet World articles -  http://www.memra.com