nanog mailing list archives

Re: New York City peering points, alternate to NYIIX??

From: jim () reptiles org (Jim Mercer)
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:37:48 -0400 (EDT)

1) Telehouse will not allow another peering point at 25 Broadway. Its like
saying "I will put my own Giga at MAE-EAST!

i'm looking at a simple switch, allowing the participants to work out their
own peering arrangements.  we have a small startup one here in Toronto.

is there something in telehouse's contract which would stop me from
dropping a switch in and opening it up to any and all comers?

2) $400 a month for a port where a decent amount of traffic is traded and
where the switch is well maintained is not rediculous...Telehouse is not a
501(c)3...they are in this to make money...

currently, according to telehouse, there are some 70-100 ISP's in the
manhattan facility.  only something like 12 are jacked into NYIIX, the
bulk of which are asian ISP's.

$400/month, as it stands right now, is not worth it.

define well maintained? a simple switch on backed up power doesn't require
much maintenance.  for the toronto exchange we simply drove a stake in the
ground and said come meet here, no cost.  participants are allowed to do
whatever peering they want one a free or commercial basis.  they are told
that while best efforts will be made to keep the switch running, the exchange
itself will not guarantee 100% 7x24 uptime.  since the costs to the
participants is zero (or, let's assume a share of the footprint), expectations
for high end guarantees should not be that high.

3) Unless you can get some big names to peer openly, no one would be
willing to pay...
So how will you fund a switch and other costs?

my clients sound willing to provide a cisco cat 1900 or some such and will
house it in their racks.  if more/faster ports are needed, they would be
willing to add equipment maybe requesting some kind of small fee to offset
the costs.

I think Telehouse is making a buck, but isn't that what we are all here for?

true enough, but i don't really see alot of value for the $400/month.

--
[ Jim Mercer    Reptilian Research      jim () reptiles org   +1 416 410-5633 ]
[ The telephone, for those of you who  have forgotten, was a commonly used ]