nanog mailing list archives

Re: The future of NAPs & IXPs

From: Vadim Antonov <avg () kotovnik com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:24:52 -0700

Stephen --

i simply attached a date after the title.  BTW - backplane capacity
is not the same as user goodput capacity; and ethernet switch is
not the same as a router.   Cisco products historically demonstrated
that quite clearly.

And i'm working for a cisco competitor now (after the acquisition
of GeoTel) and have no incentive to promote newer cisco's
products :)

--vadim

Stephen Sprunk <ssprunk () cisco com> wrote:

Perhaps you could update this paper to reflect current products, since you
specifically name vendors and their products' limitations without explicitly
listing any model numbers or dates?

For instance, the Cisco GSR (aka 12000) router has a non-blocking backplane
capacity of 40Gbit/s, where you list a maximum backplane capacity of
0.7Gbit/s.  Also, the Cisco 6500 switch has a non-blocking backplane
capacity of 256Gbit/s and can currently hold up to 130 GigE ports.  This
shows two orders of magnitude growth in capacity since your paper was
written, and that's not counting the products I can't tell you about yet :)

While I understand that the actual numbers are mostly irrelevant to the
paper, it would be appreciated if you'd either update the numbers or put in
a footnote recognizing that your numbers are out of date.

Stephen

    |          |         Stephen Sprunk, K5SSS, CCIE #3723
   :|:        :|:        NSA, Network Consulting Engineer
  :|||:      :|||:       14875 Landmark Blvd #400; Dallas, TX
.:|||||||:..:|||||||:.    Pager: 800-365-4578 / 800-901-6078
C I S C O S Y S T E M S   Email: ssprunk () cisco com