nanog mailing list archives

Re: Crazy flying netbios packets

From: Karl Denninger <karl () mcs net>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 12:17:01 -0500

On Thu, Sep 03, 1998 at 05:48:31PM +0100, Paul Thornton wrote:
On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Pete Ashdown wrote:

Has anyone done any estimates on how much net-wide traffic is useless
netbios udp?  Are there any suggestions for cutting large chunks of this
out of my network without punishing SAMBA and other users who need it?

On the subject of Windows generated useless traffic, I have been woking with
RIPE to look at how many queries to k.root-servers.net are for dud TLDs -
the majority of which are caused by Windows using the DNS to look up the
local NT domain name - requests of the form "FOO."

The results are somewhat scary - it seems that around 20% of all queries
are generated by this behaviour.  I can't give you any more info at present,
as we are still working on the data - it is literally something I am in the
middle of doing at the moment, but wanted to give a quick heads up to folks
in the light of this thread.

Which, for a true root server with a working set of a couple of hundred
kilobytes of data (and a couple of megabytes including buffer space, bss,
and text) is absolutely irrelavent.

Now if you want to talk about *misconfigured* servers which happen to have
2M+ entries on them because they are *also* serving TLDs, well, perhaps
there the processing time and requirements *are* relavent.

--
--
Karl Denninger (karl () MCS Net)