nanog mailing list archives

Re: NSI Bulletin 098-010 | Update on Whois

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 12:14:35 -0700 (PDT)

Why not use rwhois and distribute the load like DNS is?  Let registerants
decide if they want to provide rwhois support for their own domain(s) or
if they want to delegate the task to the InterNIC to handle it.

Gee... imagine being able to update data about your DNS domains immediately
instead of having to wait for the InterNIC to process the request.

Just my $0.02.

--
Dan Watts
Vitts Networks

Actually, you could kill two birds w/ one stone by keeping the data
in your inverse delegations.  There has been some thought on this
which could double as a distributed IRR, esp. for those who have
trouble getting to/through those centralized databases.

A brief note on how this might be done may be found at:
http://www.isi.edu/div7/people/bmanning.home/inet98.html
if I might toot my own horn here.  Note that this is similar
to, but does not go quite as far as the presentation given at
a recent NANOG mtg.

--bill