nanog mailing list archives

Re: COM zone and serials

From: woods () most weird com (Greg A. Woods)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 23:22:09 -0400 (EDT)

[ On Wed, September 16, 1998 at 20:11:28 (-0400), John Hawkinson wrote: ]
Subject: Re: COM zone and serials

For instance, traceroute that differs from the canonical version
(ftp.ee.lbl.gov).

Although the verions of traceroute at ftp.ee.lbl.gov may be the root of
all traceroutes, I'd never consider it to be the most portable one.

That said though I must admit I've stopped using Eric's version of
traceroute in favour of the version that comes with NetBSD.  However in
the days I was still using SunOS-4 on my primary server(s), Eric's
version was enormously better than the LBL version, and much easier to
get working.

"host" that differs from any of the canonical versions (like that
distributed with bind), etc., etc.

I think you'll find the 'host' in the "tools" sub-directory of the BIND
distribution is an extremely ancient predecessor to the version Eric
maintains and that the one in the "contrib/host" sub-directory is in
fact a slightly out-of-date version of Eric's host(1).

I.e. Eric's host(1) *is* the "canonical" version.

I think promulgating their usage as long as they conflict in name
with more popular versions of the same programs is A Poor Idea.

What you call a "canonical" version simply may be the "original
predecessor".  Even I maintain and distribute enhanced versions of
programs that originally came from elsewhere (eg. fingerd, newsyslog,
etc.).  I rarely, if ever, change their names (though usually I give the
distribution tar archive a different version name :-).

"Use what works.  Use what works best."

--
                                                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods () acm org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods () planix com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods () weird com>