nanog mailing list archives

Re: open relays at Earthlink

From: Steve Carter <scarter () pobox com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 03:53:32 +0000

Bill Becker wrote:
Right now, UUnet in the US is the main source of spam on the internet,
and this is due to UUnet's irresponsible policy.  US spammers have found
that it is cost-effective to get an account from an access reseller which
uses UUnet hardware, and spam for up to a week before action is taken
against them.  You can send a million spams for the cost of one
entry-level dialup account.  They do this repeatedly, as evidenced by a
single spammer using an NYC uunet pop for at least two months now.

I don't think this is an indictment of the whole Internet, more how
UUnet gets around to applying their AUP, therefore, ....

This has to be fixed to make spamming more expensive.  Shut off the
spammer as soon as complaints come in, and then forward the whole mess --
Spams, complaints, logs -- To the reseller and let them sort it out AFTER
the spammer's access is removed.

.... I think this is a little too draconian for my taste.  A little
investigation might be in order, so we satisfy ourselves that the
accused is guilty before we cut them off.

Spammers:  Shut 'em off and let God sort 'em out!  >;)

-Steve