nanog mailing list archives

Re: Clue's for Clue-less

From: Richard Irving <rirving () onecall net>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 23:02:20 -0500

Sharif Torpis wrote:

this must be an 11.2 thing?

  Unknown...
  Have you ever met an 11.1.xx technician *not*
  wearing synthetics to test it ?

  :)

Richard Irving wrote:

It is built into IOS.... As you approach the ceiling, it sends out an
SNMP log alert.

 Now, how I select the number is confidential....

 Ok. I will give you a hint....  I bring up the original sessions,
and confirm integrity...

 Then I look at the routes, size and count.

 Then in the dark of the moon, wearing *no* synthetics,
facing *magnetic* north... I devine the target number.

  In other words... It is a judgement call...

  Downstreams are easier. They must file routes with me, before I route
  them. I filter to the prefix.

  Consider this merely another fall back mechanism to the general IOPS
  model.

Sharif Torpis wrote:

can u elaborate on the detection mechanism for setting off such
alarms? do u look at % change in total routes in core of internet?
e.g. sunday saw a change of 55k -> 60k which is ~10% change ... or do
u look at specific blocks that should not be deaggregated and catch
them if they are deaggregated ... thanks

Richard Irving wrote:

   The only neighbors I lost on this one, dumped something
they shouldn't..... If someone de-aggregates a /16,
it fires off alarms.... Although these may be valid advertisements,
We have opted for the "safe, rather than sorry" perspective.
(Besides, the alarms *assure* prompt attention)

PS: 11.2.xx and higher have this command...