nanog mailing list archives

Re: AOL announcements (aka aggregation anyone?)

From: Brandon Ross <bross () mindspring net>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 23:59:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Bradley Reynolds wrote:

In their best attempts to defeat selecting AOL
paths through ANS, AOL is announcing many (all?)
of their specifics out sprint.  This has pretty much defeated
my efforts to force traffic out ans.

Does anyone know why they are doing this?  Customers are complaining
of > 1 s ping times trying to reach aol and though I don't want
to configure the routers to appease the customers (as if) the drone
of complaints is annoying.

*snip*

Does anyone have insight they could share with me?

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but if it's a problem, why don't you
just filter their routes?

Brandon Ross            Network Engineering     404-815-0770 800-719-4664
Director, Network Engineering, MindSpring Ent., Inc.  info () mindspring com
                                                            ICQ:  2269442

Stop Smurf attacks!  Configure your router interfaces to block directed
broadcasts. See http://www.quadrunner.com/~chuegen/smurf.cgi for details.