nanog mailing list archives

Re: IGPs in use

From: "Paul G. Donner" <pdonner () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 13:04:25 -0400

However, I know of three large networks in Europe that do use BGP as their
sole IGP and I know of one other that is considering ditching OSPF and
moving to BGP (they have bandwidth coming our of their ears so don't care
about the granularity cost-metric gives you) because the CPU overhead of
OSPF was too large for their network. Plenty of bandwidth but tight
purse strings when it comes to hardware.

If BGP rides on TCP, how are the TCP sessions built if BGP itself is used
as the IGP?

How does this affect the hierarchy of the network since all iBGP speakers
must be fully meshed?