nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should be removed?

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 19:20:23 -0400

On Thu, Oct 01, 1998 at 03:02:29AM -0400, Barry Shein wrote:
The question was what we should do, not what they should do. For
example, should we remove their domain from the top level servers if
it has ceased to serve any legitimate purpose?

<sigh>

Legitimate to _whom_, Barry?  It's a _TLD_.  It only has to be
"legitimate" to the Administrative Contact in the whois record, as far
as I can see.

But we can cut off our half of the connection if we feel it is
primarily malicious and abusive.

"our half of the connection".  The link itself is almost certainly
commercial, and the root DNS entries, I strongly suspect, are there in
trust for the IANA, who are the administrative owners of "", to the
extent that there are any, I think.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
Member of the Technical Staff     "The net is safer in bad weather: you

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com