nanog mailing list archives

Re: Despamming wholesale dialup

From: "Steven J. Sobol" <sjsobol () nacs net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:30:29 -0500

On Fri, Oct 30, 1998 at 01:52:19PM -0500, Dean Anderson wrote:

One problem is that the wholesale provider may not have permission to do
this. You must obtain permission from a party to the communication prior to
interfering with it, unless it qualifies as an abuse.

Don't start again, Dean.

You should be aware that the pro-spammers have a bill in Congress to
explicitly define spam as a legitimate activity, ie not an abuse.  It will
likely be passed in this session.

Wrong. It died. Unfortunately, the telephone anti-slamming bill died with
it - the spam rider was attached to the anti-slamming bill.

I tried to tell people a year and a half
ago that spammers were closely associated with an advertising lobby that
would be effective on this is issue, and that they needed to try a more
reasonable approach. But they insisted "I was wrong".

You're still wrong. The DMA and its members seem to be adopting a wait-and-
see attitude, although they seem to be moving towards action...

So "Spam fighting" is now a lost cause

Whatever.

which should not be discussed on Nanog anyway.

Which doesn't stop you from whining about spamfighters every few months
anyhow.

--
Steve Sobol [sjsobol () nacs net]
Part-time Support Droid [support () nacs net]

Spotted on a bumper sticker: "Possum. The other white meat."