nanog mailing list archives

Re: SOLVED! The cause of puzzling TCP (eg. WHOIS) connection failures with some InterNIC.net hosts

From: Mark Kosters <markk () internic net>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:07:40 -0500

On Fri, Nov 20, 1998 at 04:25:11PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
The problem has to do with the failure of a host to fragment larger
packets on demand (i.e. when the other host sends an ICMP "needs frag"
notification).  This may be because the ICMP packet never gets through
(perhaps someone who didn't understand TCP/IP and ICMP and everything
else related implemented a filter on all "abnormal" ICMP packets); or it
may be because the receiving host doesn't understand the ICMP "needs
frag" request (and also doesn't implement path MTU discovery, or have I
got that backwards?).

No matter what the problem really is, I'm sure a *lot* of people would
be much happier if this problem were fixed, specifically for the WHOIS
service (though I've also had troubles receiving HTTP too).  I got quite
a few replies about similar experiences when I first posted about this
on NANOG recently.

Thanks Greg for the good information.

The InterNIC load balancers (BigIP made by F5 Labs) do have a problem with
path MTU discovery. We have taken a short term fix of turning off path MTU
discovery on the hosts behind BigIP until F5 issues a fix.

Regards,
Mark

--

Mark Kosters     markk () internic net      InterNIC Registration Services
PGP Key fingerprint =  1A 2A 92 F8 8E D3 47 F9  15 65 80 87 68 13 F6 48

I am not a spokesperson for NSI. Anything I write or say is my personal
opinion and in no way should be interpreted as NSI's official position.