nanog mailing list archives

Re: NSI policy on lame delagations

From: "Steven J. Sobol" <sjsobol () nacs net>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 00:04:44 -0500

On Sat, Nov 21, 1998 at 05:18:27PM -0800, Michael Dillon wrote:
On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Steven J. Sobol wrote:

On the other hand, maybe there is another solution. Don't put all your
eggs in one basket. Run at least two nameservers.

This is a no-brainer.

1. If you're running only a primary and no secondaries, your DNS is an
accident waiting to happen.

Guess I should have said "run at least two sets of nameservers, i.e. two
primaries and two secondaries. One set for recent additions... etc.".

I am of the opinion that you should have one or two nameservers on site and
work out something with another ISP in another physical location, hanging
off a different backbone, to also use their nameservers. (A lot of people
will do secondaries at no charge, especially if you work out a reciprocal
agreement with them).

--
Steve Sobol [sjsobol () nacs net]
Part-time Support Droid [support () nacs net]

Spotted on a bumper sticker: "Possum. The other white meat."