nanog mailing list archives

RE: Digital Bill of Rights

From: Bob Allisat <bob () fcn net>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 15:03:37 -0500 (EST)

 James, I feel it is important to
 reply to your reasoned article with
 an equal response. Mr. Fowler wrote:
        [Fowler, James]  Bob, Yes you do have the right to e-mail
anyone you want.  I can refuse e-mail from anyone I want.  This is
the same for the US postal service. If I choose not to accept
e-mail from you, then you don't get a real say in the matter.  The
RBL is a voluntary list. i.e. your network is used for Spam, one
can not get off of your Spam list, they document what they have
done, then add your address to the RBL.  it is punishment for you
not respecting the rights and requests of others not to send Spam,
so we (RBL Users) have a right not to accept Spam.   This is NOT
envelope steaming, this is looking at the address from who it was
sent from and then stopping the e-mail from going further.

        It is MY company's network, My company's storage system,
My company's connection, My company's money paid for all of this.
My company CAN choose who we want to use our services.

        Your attitude, "Welcome to the digital age. Here is 2000
pieces of Spam for you.  Thanks for the use of your bandwidth and
storage."  This is not right.  It would be like someone going to
your house, walking in, going to you fridge, getting a drink, and
using your phone and watching your TV, without your permission.
Is this what you really want?  This list is a group of people who
have wasted too many hours in trying to get people like you to
listen and please stop the spamming, but it takes a discussion /
Flame mail to do this. Why?

 Mail is mail is mail in my opinion.
 And what you do on a *private* server
 is your own business. Once that server