nanog mailing list archives

RE: luser of the day award!

From: "Matthew Holway" <mholway () eni net>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 10:51:35 -0800

MY attorney has advised me that it is not in MY best interest to stop
blackholing him.

I think before he sends an email, he should not only do a spell check, but a
contradiction check!

Cheers,

Matthew Holway
"Long Time Listner, First Time Caller"

Subject: luser of the day award!

Anyone else get mail from this idiot?

Alan Bechtold (alanbechtold () sysop com) @ 11/18/1998 12:48 -
Original Problem Detail:

Dear sir or madam --
=20
It has come to my attention that your company utilizes the MAPS =
BLACKHOLE list to block purported SPAMMERS from sending E-mail to your =
system. While the idea might sound good I am writing to inform you that =
you will be named in a Federal Lawsuit if you do not CEASE AND DESIST =
use of this list IMMEDIATELY.
=20
Here is why:
 Our =
attorneys have advised us that it is NOT in our best interest to do so. =
Removing the Web site of anyone for something they did OUTSIDE of our =
system, even if it was indeed PROMOTING a site hosted on our system, =
would in fact expose my company to possible lawsuit from the SPAMMER!

I understand many Web site design and hosting services stipulate in =
their contracts that they reserve the right to pull any site if evidence =
of SPAMMING is seen -- but my attorneys have also advised me that this =
is completely unenforceable in court and wouldn't stand up to a court =
challenge.