nanog mailing list archives

Re: Journal of Internet Disasters

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () cp net>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:04:41 -0800

On 11/16/98, Dave Crocker <dcrocker () brandenburg com> wrote:

That does not mean no oversight.  It merely means finding non-governmental
methods of achieving the oversight.  I suggest, for example, that a
competent and careful effort of the type Sean is suggesting would go a
long, long way towards helping things, by providing public and clear
explanations of problems.  Yes, it is possible that some ISPs would choose
to ignore the public disclosure, but let's worry about that problem after
give simple, public discourse a try.  Such an approach has a good track on
the Internet.

        Furthermore...I'd be willing to bet that if the FCC or whoever
        got a lot of complaints, they'd form an oversight committee.

        Why not just form one ourselves, making sure that it's answerable
        to the needs of the Internet community?

--
J.D. Falk <jdfalk () cp net>                                 "Nathan says hi."
Special Agent In Charge (Abuse Issues)