nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network Solutions on TV

From: Dean Robb <pceasy () norfolk infi net>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 21:31:53 -0500

At 10:03 11/16/98 -0800, you wrote:
     This actually raises an operational concern.  A little
traceroute will show you that www.networksolutions.com and
the worldnic stuff are down the same pipes as the internic.net
stuff.  With the DNS problems of the past few days, one has
to ask, would "internic" activities have worked just fine if
Network Solutions had not been using some {small,large} amount
of the bandwidth for their other commercial activities.

     Not that I hold out any hope of the two activities using
separate facilities, but it would be nice.

Such seperation is mandated by the latest Amendment to the Cooperative
Agreement between the U.S. Government and NSI. However it doesn't have to
occur for several months still.

I'm afraid I can't find that provision in any amendment to the Cooperative
Agreement as posted at http://rs.internic.net/nsf/agreement/.

However, Amendment 11 (7 Oct 98) is interesting because it mandates that
the specifications and milestones for the Shared Registry System be given
to the USG by 1 Nov 98 and that all the data accrued by NSI in it's
registration process be turned over to the USG by 7 Nov 98.

Have these provisions been effected?  Has the SRS been planned out yet?  NSI?

Spammers should be investigated by Ken Starr!

Dean Robb
PC-EASY computer services
(757) 495-EASY [3279]