nanog mailing list archives

Re: Exodus / Clue problems

From: TTSG <ttsg () ttsg com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 07:55:56 -0500 (EST)

 The owner did not allow any further action to the box except to have it
removed from the network .  So until the owner sends someone in to clean up
we won't know anything more.

    8-(  Did Exodus atleast try to do some sniffing of traffic or
captures at the router or SOMETHING?  Or will we never know anything more
about this?

The way to deal with owners like this is to have a good contact with FBI
folks that investigate this stuff. Believe it or not, FBI is quite
efficient in obtaining evidence ;)

        My big carrot stick (I'm a veggie, so I don't eat beef) is that if
the person was connected to the box (And it wasn't just a script running)
we could have done more tracing.

        If they weren't, we could atleast try to find out how/what they
were doing and see if there is a new advisory that should be published.

        Now we have to deal with AFTER the fact, instead of IN-PROGRESS.

                                Tuc/TTSG