nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Great Exchange

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry () piermont com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 17:01:32 -0400

"Tom Walton" writes:
You're assuming that the internet will persist in its current form,
and just "scale up". I'd argue that, as network technology becomes
useful for non-nerds, consumers will pay for packaged data services
and not just for "access" to an expanded version of today's
web-morass. These information services, e.g., entertainment, news,
etc., will be big bandwidth burners.  Simple economics will drive
the providers of these high-bandwidth services to the edges of the
network, and hence to a regional model for content distribution.

Simple economics would drive content providers NOT to get into the
distribution business.

Thus, the majority of bits, if not the majority of net "accesses"
(one ten minute video stream will likely dominate a residential
consumer's daily consumption) reaching consumers will be delivered
regionally.

Lets say we have a residential bandwidth on the order of several
megabits -- not unreasonable in another five or ten years, especially
given that current technology could provide it. Why would a short
video dominate consumption, especially given that people watch a whole
lot more than small amounts of video, and the net is likely to replace
all other distribution media in the long run?

I find your arguments fairly unpersuasive.

Perry