nanog mailing list archives

Re: Wired Q: Embedded NT

From: "Alex P. Rudnev" <alex () Relcom EU net>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 13:12:03 +0400 (MSD)

You are wrong a little. The difference is:

- if you use MS and it don't work, your boss blame to BILL GATES.

- if you use FreeBSD (or Linux, through FreeBSD is better for the
networking) and it don't work, your boss blame _guess, who? - YOU_ .

That's a matter.

The reason is simple. While we sit here bitching about this "minor"
issue and that "minor" issue, like the state of the net, the S&M
(Sales and Marketing, but sometimes I wonder) people are out there
from Mickeysoft promoting the "No one ever got fired for buying M$"
message. NT is a >corporate< product. This, in my view, means that
you don't care if it works as long as you can hire someone else to
fix it and your budget is maintained. Hell, if we started using "free"
products, we wouldn't have license fees to pay and my budget to run
a 100 node NT network would disappear. Budgets = Power in that sad
world.