nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN allocating /20 netblocks?

From: shields () crosslink net (Michael Shields)
Date: 17 May 1998 21:16:25 +0000

In article <199805171722.KAA25313 () mail nwlink com>,
"Michael K. Smith" <mksmith () nwlink com> wrote:
Let's not forget to mention the 10,000 dialup customers who have to
change their DNS numbers.  We have sent snail-mail and e-mail over and
over again, yet only about 1/3 of that 10k have actually made the change
away from the old numbers.  How many of those customers do you think
we'll lose when we officially turn off the old ip's?

It's very ugly, but I put in two /32 routes internally for my old
resolver addresses in Net-99 space... this keeps them reachable from
the inside.  If they ever get reused, I just won't have connectivity
to those two hosts.

I think now that it is a mistake to ever give out resolver IPs from NP
space.  If you don't have your own space, use 1918 space.
--
Shields, CrossLink.