nanog mailing list archives

Re: Possible login/password grabbing ploy

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () inorganic5 fdt net>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 02:29:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 11 May 1998, J.D. Falk wrote:

Sadly that will only return 256 entries. The Internic claims to have not
given out the entire DNS database since March. Anyone know otherwise, or
how to quickly get WHOIS to return more than 256 entries on a
WHOIS SERVER request?

      If you have a password you can get it (they give 'em out to
      people who ask.)

Only if they chose to believe you have a good enough reason for wanting
them.  I wanted them for what I thought was a totally legit purpose...we
were preparing to renumber, and as part of the task of renumbering, I
wanted to compile a list of all domains for which we're supposed to be
authorative.  I was told "that's not good enough...send us the DNS server
info, we'll run the search and let you know how it turns out."  I did so,
and never heard back.

The renumbering is now done...and I never did get to compile a list of all
the domains we're lame for.

 Jon Lewis <jlewis () fdt net>  |  Not good enough for Internic :(   |
 Network Administrator       |                                  ||||\
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |