nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP over SONET considered harmful?

From: Joseph Malcolm <jmalcolm () uraeus com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 16:41:36 -0500 (EST)

Paul E. Erkkila writes:
      Without going to far into the traceroute source , would
 a solution to this problem be a modified traceroute that
 "understood" and could report Tag/MPLS "hops" as well as
 the normal method? There would need to be some way of
 identifying which devices were forwarding using Tag/Mpls
 and which were not, as well as getting and reporting
 the information. I think it falls into the same category of
 tracing cell forwarding in ATM without having access to the
 equipment doing the work.

Without getting into whether this is a good idea - I suspect many
service providers would disable such a capability - one of the nice
aspects of traceroute is that it uses the usual packet forwarding path
until the last hop. In other words, it's a little hard to break the
normal packet forwarding mechanism without breaking traceroute too.
This charcteristic would be hard to preserve with such a solution.

      Alan and I discussed the "knob" solution before, it seems
  to solve the problem, but under certain circumstances a packet
  could end up being forwarded forever because of (mis)configuration.

You do have to make sure that tunnels always move packets closer to
their destination, yes.