nanog mailing list archives

Re: Web Cache Question

From: Rich Sena <ras () poppa clubrich tiac net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 13:41:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998 sonick () mediaone net wrote:

about? If these servers exist: do they all operate on the premise of
spoofing the source address as coming from the client, or would I
actually see the cacheing servers source address? At this point, the
only evident proxies in a server netstat are from AOL, but this is
nothing new. The real increase in unexplained stale sockets are from
random source addresses (spoofed?). Again, this mail is solely for the
purpose of troubleshooting an exasperating, unexplained problem, not a
blame the cache mail, so no return spam please.  Any thoughts or recent
similar experience sharing would be greatly appreciated.

The only proxie /web cache on the market that could have spoofed the
source address was vixie's and it is not in any backbone scenarios to the
best of my knowledge - plus it wouldn't have caused a problem - you would
have never known it was there in your instance.

--
I am nothing if not net-Q! - ras () poppa clubrich tiac net