nanog mailing list archives

Re: small vent

From: dlr () bungi com (Dave Rand)
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 12:45:29 PDT

[In the message entitled "Re: small vent" on Jun 28, 14:54, Jon Lewis writes:]
On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Mark Milhollan wrote:

"David R. Conrad" writes:
b) someone has dummied up a prefix in a mail header or something (typical)
c) there is a bug in the database software (happens)

I doubt B since the IP address queried was that of the TCP peer.
Granted it could have been a spoofed session, but that would have
required a level of expertise that I've never seen used merely to
attempt delivery of a few thousand pieces of e-mail.

What about d).  Perhaps someone temporarily announced routes for
unallocated space, setup a mail/spam server in that IP space, sent out
their mail, and stopped exporting the route.

Is there a place one can search to see a history of BGP announcements for
a given route?

This has, in fact, happened before.  One of the reasons that the unallocated
spaces are listed on the RBL.

--
Dave Rand
dlr () bungi com