nanog mailing list archives

Re: backbone transparent proxy / connection hijacking

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () priori net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 01:49:19 -0700

At 09:37 PM 6/27/98 -0500, Jeremy Porter wrote:

Cisco policy routing can use source IP address for deciding to pass
traffic to the cache engine.  The cache engine, normaly can be
configured to exempt destination.  I believe that this fixes both
issues. Expecting the customer to be able to have a clue to
go to a www page is a bit much, tho.  Some customers have setup

I find it ridiculous to suggest that an ACL be built and modified for each
and every "broken" thing you find.  I wouldn't be surprised if the
resources necessary to keep this up - especially considering the potential
customer dissatisfaction it *will* cause - outweighs the benifit of the cache.

IP based authentication on their NT server, but can't figure out how
to configure SLL which wouldn't be cached, and would be more secure.
The burden of making this work is on the cache operator.  Also it turns
out that the sites with the most problems with the cache are the ones
paying the least money for service.  Its hard to feel very sorry for
a $20/month dialup customer, who is connecting to his coporate site
with a broken NT server.

If you are just now figuring out that there are users who are clueless on
the Internet, you're way behind the curve.  If you figured this out a long
time ago and have simply dismissed those users - even the $20/mo dialup
customers - as "hard to feel very sorry for", then I'm surprised you are
still in business.

I give all of my users transit to their desired destination when the pay me
for it.  Not just those cluefull enough to configure exceptions to the
proxy services I have decided to ram down their throat - without their
foreknowledge or consent.

You are, of course, welcome to do as you please on your network.

Jeremy Porter, Freeside Communications, Inc.      jerry () fc net

TTFN,
patrick

Patrick W. Gilmore                      voice: +1-650-482-2840
Director of Operations, CCIE #2983        fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.                    http://www.priori.net
              "Tomorrow's Performance.... Today"