nanog mailing list archives

Who runs the net

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 15:13:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

Now, even at this late date, it seems to me that many people, some in
positions of power over the stuff we do here, still think that the
folks who run the net are a bunch of asocial geeks and nerds who can't
play nice together.

The folks on this list don't run the net. They just operate the equipment
that runs one of the private networks that forms a portion of the
Internet. They don't necessarily even make all of the policy decisions for
that one network that they do operate. This is a plumbers list, not the
municipal water board list.

Anyway, my point is: if we, as the keepers of the bits, give the
appearance that we can't keep our own sandbox clean, when someone is so
clearly violating the rules which pertain to that portion of it, what
appearance does that give of us to "outsiders", who may be listening in,
about our ability to do the job we actually get paid for.

They're probably wondering why those plumbers don't solve the problem with
a piece of lead pipe. Of course they fail to realize that most of the
plumbers are wearing earplugs and are wondering what all the fuss is
about.

I've changed the subject line so people who aren't interested in this
thread can can it.

Darn! Me too.

--
Michael Dillon                 -               Internet & ISP Consulting
Memra Communications Inc.      -               E-mail: michael () memra com