nanog mailing list archives

Re: Government scrutiny is headed our way

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 15:21:11 -0400

On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 02:10:29PM -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:
Didn't say there wasn't a problem.  Just don't let's go _there_, ok?

No, we need to go there.

"Voluntary" cooperation isn't working, because the major NOCs don't
cooperate.  Like ever.  I've given up reporting these and just block the
amplifiers, because it is POINTLESS to spend 30 minutes on hold to get a
NOC person on the phone who either refuses assistance or refuses to
escalate the matter to someone who knows what to do.

Since they don't cooperate, the only two defenses are:

1.    Black-hole detected amplifier networks (what we're doing here).

Indeed.  And what I think is the best approach.  Kick 'em in the
nads^Wnets.

2.    Government intervention to slap penalties on those who don't
      cooperate with such reports, and vendors who don't make it
      possible for NOCs to cooperate *reasonably*.

Governments have a demonstrated habit of not building such constraints
so as to incent (I hate that word, but can't think of an acceptable
synonym just now) the _right_ changes in behavior patterns -- this is
the same discussion as was just had about Usenet cancel messages a
couple hours ago.

I'd really like it if this didn't have to happen.  Seriously.  But as long
as network operators decide to play stupid when they are hit with these
requests, and/or just tell you to bite it (and I've heard both) then the
two above steps are both reasonable and necessary.

I think that the approach here is to find the executive level people to
whom those people report, and explain to _them_ that if they don't get
their houses in order, the government is likely to do it for them.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com