nanog mailing list archives

Re: So... what's the best routing solution for..

From: Tony Li <tli () juniper net>
Date: 13 Jun 1998 01:00:19 -0700

sjsobol () shell nacs net (Steve Sobol) writes:

He said this was an ethernet handoff from the isp; they are not simply
going to plug him into a switch; he will most likely get a port on a
cisco; they should be able to apply policies for him.. no?

True.

So do you _really_ want someone else configuring your packet filter?

I didn't think so.

I don't see why he even needs a router, unless there is a lack of a trust
of the upstream's ability to filter.. Or if you know beforehand they will
not?

I don't know that I necessarily need a router. :>

D'accord.  But you probably do want a packet filter/firewall/L3 protection
of some flavor.

Incidentally, if this is better discussed on another list,
I'll go subscribe to it and raise the question there...

Hell no, this is operational content. ;-)

Tony