nanog mailing list archives

Re: So... what's the best routing solution for..

From: Tony Li <tli () juniper net>
Date: 11 Jun 1998 02:06:24 -0700

sjsobol () shell nacs net (Steve Sobol) writes:

... a small operation with a few computers (maybe three or four servers
plus a handful of other computers)...

... that is not multihomed, and in fact will just be running an Ethernet
link down to the ISP downstairs...

...that is too small to get an ASN and therefore can't do BGP...

Do I go with gated or something similar, or try to pick up a cheap used
router... because I am going to be in this situation within the next
couple months.

Suggestions?

Well, you left off a lot of other data that go into consider the 'best'.
Such as, are you a Unix guru?  Do you already have the hardware to build a
system?

The generic response has to be to go with a small 2 port Ethernet router
(e.g., Cisco 2514).

Tony